Bachelor of Public Health
Duration: 4 years (6 semester course-work + 1 year of rural posting)
To be eligible for admission a candidate shall have obtained:
- A two-year Secondary level or Pre-University examination (10+2) or its equivalent as recognized by the University in any stream (Science, Arts, Commerce)
- Pre-degree course from a recognized University / Board (two years after ten years of schooling)
- Candidates completing 2 years Diploma in Allied Health Sciences after pre-university college (10+2)
Lateral entry: Candidates who have completed 3 years Diploma in any health sciences, or diploma in public health/community medicine can join 3rd semester directly
The World Health Organization adopted public health as a core strategy of Universal Health Coverage (UHC) in 2017 and the Government of India had declared UHC as a goal to be achieved by 2022. Despite significant achievements over the past decade, public health challenges continue to prevail in India and in the world.
While old threats continue to challenge health systems, new issues and challenges have appeared that burden the health systems. Creation of a dedicated Public Health Cadre has been identified as one of the important pre-requisites in moving towards improving health systems. Public health professionals help in bridging the gap between the clinical and managerial aspects of the program implementation and provide techno-managerial inputs.
The Bachelor’s degree in Public Health course will attempt to prepare a competent cadre of professionals who have a basic understanding of the various aspects of public health and are able to apply this knowledge towards meeting public health challenges in the Indian context.
- Research Officer in Government Departments/NGOs
- Public Health Communicator
- NGO sector – Public Health Officer
- Research Assistants, Field Data Collector
- Food Safety Officer, Sanitary Inspector/Officer, Health Assistant
Integrated MPH Programme
Duration: 4 years (3 + 1 year rural posting). Year one includes a bridge course in health sciences. For those opting for an integrated MPH program: 5 years (3 years BPH+2 years of MPH). After joining for the integrated MPH programme, if any candidate decides to withdraw from the MPH course, s/he will have to undergo the 1-year rural posting to be eligible for the BPH degree.
12th standard pass in any stream.
Candidates can also opt for an integrated MPH programme that allows BPH students to earn a Master of Public Health (MPH) degree in five calendar years of full-time academic study.
Course Outline: 4 years (8 semesters)
Introduction to Basic Sciences, Computer Skills, Basic Mathematics, English, Human Biology, Basic Laboratory Skills
Introduction To Public Health, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Social Determinants of Health, Academic Writing
Introduction To Basic Epidemiology, Microbiology, Zoonotic Diseases, Surveillance, Outbreak Investigation
Medical Anthropology, Qualitative Research Methods, Sustainability Development Goals, Case History Taking and Examination
Introduction To Basic Biostatistics, Environmental Health, Health Economics
Health Promotion, Health Communication, Public Health Nutrition
Field Placement in Rural Health Centres, Case Taking, Health Communication and Advocacy (log and written report)
- Research officers in Government, NGOs
- Public health communicators
- NGO sector – public health officers
- Field data collectors, research assistants
- Surveillance officers, sanitation inspectors
- Food safety officers